A number of good USB-C chargers and cables are on sale today | Ars OpenForum

A number of good USB-C chargers and cables are on sale today

Post content hidden for low score. Show…
I think the only device I even have that uses USB-C is this old Chromebook.

Once you go USB-C, it's hard to go back. My Nexus 5 got my toes in the water, I took the plunge with my 2018 Macbook Pro, which I ended up selling because I simply could not get used to its keyboard, made sure my replacement Lenovo had it because my Sony MX wireless headphones used USB-C, then my Logitech MX Master 3...

Fast power charging, much faster date transfer rates, and avoiding the annoying 180 rotation issue are great. Now if only external HDDs and... basically everything else, would hurry up and move over.

Upvote
27 (27 / 0)

Eurynom0s

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++

Once you go USB-C, it's hard to go back. My Nexus 5 got my toes in the water, I took the plunge with my 2018 Macbook Pro, which I ended up selling because I simply could not get used to its keyboard, made sure my replacement Lenovo had it because my Sony MX wireless headphones used USB-C, then my Logitech MX Master 3...

Fast power charging, much faster date transfer rates, and avoiding the annoying 180 rotation issue are great. Now if only external HDDs and... basically everything else, would hurry up and move over.

Now if only you could be guaranteed that any random USB-C cable is actually capable of everything you're describing. Anker sells USB 2.0 USB-C cables, for example.

Upvote
24 (24 / 0)

Now if only you could be guaranteed that any random USB-C cable is actually capable of everything you're describing. Anker sells USB 2.0 USB-C cables, for example.

It depends on what you are looking to do with the cable and how much you are willing to pay. I have some cheap Anker and Aukey cables that are USB 2.0, but I only ever use them for charging for my Surface Pro 7 and Galaxy S10e, so the data transfer speeds really don't matter. Being able to get 60W PD charging for around $5 per cable is much more important to me.

Upvote
8 (8 / 0)

Autapomorphy

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor

USB-A helpfully had the blue plastic to mark SuperSpeed cables, which is something I do miss with USB-C. I've got to take my label maker every time I get a cable and mark it with what the cable is capable of. Not only can USB-C cables be USB 2, 5 Gbps USB 3, 10 Gbps USB 3, or 40 Gbps TB3, but they can also be 3A or 5A charging capable.

Upvote
18 (18 / 0)

Eurynom0s

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++

It depends on what you are looking to do with the cable and how much you are willing to pay. I have some cheap Anker and Aukey cables that are USB 2.0, but I only ever use them for charging for my Surface Pro 7 and Galaxy S10e, so the data transfer speeds really don't matter. Being able to get 60W PD charging for around $5 per cable is much more important to me.

The problem is unless you dutifully stick a label on every single cable you buy, those 2.0 cables are inevitably going to wind up in a drawer with other USB-C cables and then you're going to have no idea which cable does what.

USB-A helpfully had the blue plastic to mark SuperSpeed cables, which is something I do miss with USB-C. I've got to take my label maker every time I get a cable and mark it with what the cable is capable of. Not only can USB-C cables be USB 2, 5 Gbps USB 3, 10 Gbps USB 3, or 40 Gbps TB3, but they can also be 3A or 5A charging capable.

And I love that we went from the worst that a cable/charger combo could do being charging your device slowly, to potentially frying it.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)